Monday 1 May 2017

The drummer from Nirvana

hey, wanna feel old?

It is over 20 years since Kurt Cobain killed himself. To put that into perspective, we are as far away in time from that event as that event was from the release of Led Zeppelin IV and LA Woman. (23 years). Which makes me feel really old and if doesn't make you feel old then you perhaps don't remember the event or the impact that Nirvana had.

The thing that has always interested me is the very unexpected rise of the Foo Fighters from the ashes of that trailer fire. Ever since the first Foo Fighters album it was quite clear that within Nirvana there was another fabulous song writer. Indeed the first three songs on that album are 'This is a call', 'I'll stick around' and 'Big me'.



They have stood the test of time very well considering what has happened to music in the 20+ years they have been producing and making music. If you think about the fall of grunge, Nu Metal, Boy bands, Emo, Talent shows, whatever this current period is all about (seriously, can someone help me here - what is it called? is there some unifying theme? )

Further to my point about it not making you feel old. Nirvana last put out an album of original music, so excluding the MTV unplugged album, in 1993. So, if you are a youngster, i.e. somewhere under 35 or thereabouts, Nirvana possibly meant nothing much to you. Indeed, you have only ever really known the Foo Fighters and as such don't get the connection. or worse, you just don't care. I have written in other posts  that I was more of a Pearl Jam fan at the time than I was Nirvana and how that has changed over time and as such I am not going to start going on about how wonderful Nirvana were.

I am however still amazed and very impressed by Dave Grohl. I am not sure there is another example of someone coming out of one world dominating band as a drummer and going on to have effectively a much longer and more renowned career in another band. Indeed, I can really only think of Don Henley from the Eagles and Phil Collins from Genesis who both went on to have successful solo careers. But then only to a point. I am not here to have a shot at either of these guys, if you want to discuss I would be happy to in the comments on on Facebook - Oh I didn't mention I have a Facebook page and a Twitter handle did I? Look up Music Ruminations and or @MusicRumination - happy to argue over there. My point is they went on to have great careers no doubt, but they were still drummers and were solo artists. Dave Grohl is the singer and guitar player for a different band. To me that seems quite different and somehow meaningful.



That is my Favourite Foo Fighters song. Indeed, it is one of my favourite songs. I have put it onto mini discs, burnt onto CD mixes and made many a Spotify playlist with it included. It is a great song. it is also a great song acoustically.



I think it is fair to say that the Foo Fighters have somehow managed to become one of the worlds biggest bands. I say somehow because it seems to me that they arguably haven't produced a classic album as such. The Colour and the Shape, is a very good album, As are One by One and Sonic Highways. None of these could really be considered a stone cold classic though. They do not get into many top 100 albums lists of all time for example. There are some very good songs on many of the albums, although Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace is perhaps the weakest of the albums so far. Although it does have The Pretender on it.

So, what has made them so large? For example, They headlined the Saturday night at Fuji Rock in 2005, and would also do the same in 2015.Which as I established earlier is a good 20 years after their first album.

Longevity does give bands a certain cache. Although it is a bit of chicken and egg in this as you only have longevity by being successful and you only have success by writing great songs and great songs means people will want to see you which gives you the ability to play for a long time which is longevity. So it is down to great songs then. There is no doubt that there are great songs in all of the albums released by the Foo Fighters. But I am not sure that this is it. There is also the fact that there is a certain amount of cool attached to Dave Grohl. He was the drummer in Nirvana - did I mention that, and as such many confessed music snobs such as myself are prepared to give him a pass on some of the more ordinary songs he has released. That said, not much of a pass. Chris Cornell. He of iron lungs from Soundgarden and Audioslave, released a R&B type track and you don't get a pass for that. What were you thinking man? What?

 Actually, I think it is a combination of these two things combined with the fact that they have their own style., A Foo Fighters song is quite unique. It is hard to mistake them for other people, despite the number of bands who have tried to be similar to them. In writing this I have tried to think about the style. It is quite rock I guess. But in a different way from bands that may be considered their contemporaries, like The Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Oasis or Smashing Pumpkins. It is also interesting to note those bands are not producing any good much at all anymore. Are Oasis still together in some form?

This distinctive style means that they have the ability to weather any storm or passing fad I think. In much the same way as Tom Petty, by not succumbing to the latest musical fad, their music has been able to stand the test of time and doesn't really age as it is not of an age as such.

So, well done Dave Grohl, A quite amazing story. My Hero


No comments:

Post a Comment